5 Gluten-Free Websites for August 2012

Gluten-Free websites I've learned about this month:

Please join me in a new journey to find at least 5 websites each month that will be highlighted in (at a minimum) the following categories:

  • Gluten-Free
  • Vegan
  • Vegetarian
  • Decorating
  • DIY
  • Money Management

If you have a website or know of an author that you'd like to see showcased please let me know.

A Gluten-Free Day

A Gluten-Free Day


Emilia, the author/chef/photographer of this site lives in Finland.  She cooks gluten-free along with some soy-free, egg-free, and diary-free.  She prefers psyllium husk powder over xanthan gum and feels the former lends a texture more similar to gluten when baking.


Emilia answers a question many of us have:  "What I do if I accidentally eat gluten?"

"I always know when I have eaten gluten because I get at first a strange empty feeling in my stomach, after that I start having pains.
My general strategy is to take L-Glutamine powder one tablespoon every four hours or so, this helps the stomach to heel and it really helps with the pain. I also take some turmeric and DL-Phenylalanine; the turmeric helps with the healing and because I get depressed from gluten I take the DL-Phenylalanine which helps to elevate my mood.
B-vitamins are also important if you ingest gluten because it eats away the B-vitamins, the body needs them to process gluten and sugar, and this might also be behind the reason of the so called gluten depression."


Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free


Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

Amy Green, author of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free cookbook, has maintained a weight loss of over 60 pounds since 2004 by eliminating sugar and gluten from her diet.

Amy says, "My food cravings, migraines, and depression vanished and was able to maintain a 60+ pound weight loss. Today I live with enormous freedom."

 Easy Eats

Easy Eats

Easy Eats is an on-line gluten-free and lifestyle magazine that is full of recipes, conversational interaction, and a "What's Cooking" blog that is posted between bi-monthly editions of the magazine.



Free Spirit Eater

Free Spirit Eater
 Meet Kym, an award-winning foodie blogger, who lives in (or near - not quite sure) New York City and is (self-proclaimed) obsessed with the 60s.  This isn't actually a gluten-free website but she is acutely aware of the term and it appears most of her items are either gluten-free or could easily be modified.



The Dusty Baker

The Dusty Baker

Lastly, you have to meet Jacqueline.  She is amazing!

Jacqueline lives in New York City, NY has been "gluten and cow dairy-free for almost 20 years."  She is a private chef, she writes for Easy Eats and Serious Eats NY.

She uses food as medicine to keep her body healthy.


It has been a lot of fun learning about new foodies, blogs, writers, and great people who are inspiring.  While compiling this list, I noticed that a few of the sites were connected in one way or another.  Isn't that wild?!  What a small world we really do live in.

I wish you and everyone a wonderful month.

 
P.S.,  How did you like these websites?  I'm thinking about making this a monthly entry because I come across so many helpful sites.  If you know of a site that should be highlighted here on Substance of Living, please let me know at substanceofliving at gmail dot com or in the comments section below.

Please share me with your friends! Please forward this post to your friends or better yet share on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.  THANKS!  Your comments and help in spreading the news about this site is ALWAYS appreciated!  Be sure to sign up to receive future articles delivered directly to your inbox.
Substance of Living

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Thrift Store Wedding

Thinking about Thanksgiving - Part 1

Pumpkin Carving Ideas