Bulk Savings of Epic Proportions

Did you read the Yahoo! article 10 Things You Should Always Buy in Bulk dated March 25, 2012?  It was a good article and also mentioned some great websites such as Hassle-Free Savings and Suddenly Frugal.

I don’t know if all the things I purchase at wholesale clubs are considered “bulk” but some items I purchase using my wholesale membership include the following:
  • Toilet Paper
  • Paper Towels
  • Gum
  • Smart Balance tubs of butter
  • Kitty Litter
  • Toothbrushes
  • Soap – Bath, Liquid Hand
  • Laundry Detergent
  • Dish Washer Soap
  • Vitamins
  • Frozen Fish (Wild Caught, not farmed raised)
  • Razors
  • Pasta Sauce (Gluten-Free)
  • Cans of Tuna Fish
  • Milk – Organic and Soy Milk
  • Frozen Fruit (Organic)
  • Canned Diced Tomatoes (Organic)
  • Oatmeal
  • Wine
  • Computers

This is not to say that I will only purchase them there.  For example, the vitamins can run me about the same when they are on sale at the drug store.  The kitty litter can also cost me the same at the pet store or a major discount store.

The biggest reason for buying them at my local membership warehouse is 1) I’m already there picking up other items, 2) Coupon came in the mail, 3) The more I purchase throughout the year, it pays for my membership.

Remember the saying that, “It takes money to make money” or “You have to spend money in order to save money”?  Well, I figure the price of the membership is like spending money on gas to get to the grocery store.

I also find myself purchasing very specific items from the grocery store and not items that I can purchase at “The Warehouse”.  The more I can stay out of the stores or malls the more money that stays in my wallet. I wish I could purchase the following at my local wholesale club:

Wheat/Gluten-Free Pasta
Wheat/Gluten-Free Bread
Vegan “Meats”
Guar Gum

It was a long time in the making that these items could be found in a regular grocery store and now look around the stores even have their own brand of these products.  The price is also beginning to come down.  Until then, the quest continues. Where do you do most of your shopping?  Do you use coupons?  How do you use your savings?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Thrift Store Wedding

Thinking about Thanksgiving - Part 1

Pumpkin Carving Ideas